By: Marlene Affeld ~
Maintaining a healthy libido or sex drive promotes emotional and physical health and can fortify and build intimacy with your romantic partner. Although insomnia, stress, hormonal shifts, smoking, lack of exercise, low self-esteem, and poor health can in general diminish libido, how amorous we feel is most often dependent on the foods we eat. The sex drive can be significantly increased through consuming anti-aging foods and supplements that provide the essential nutrients to spark sexual appetite and increase libido.
To enhance your sex drive, the food items you want to make sure are included in your daily diet are those high in amino acids, zinc, niacin, Vitamin E, magnesium, and potassium. Magnesium accelerates production of sex hormones such as estrogen, androgen, as well as various neurotransmitters that stimulate the sex drive.
The list includes celery, raw oysters, avocado, almonds, artichokes, mangoes, bananas, peaches, figs, strawberries, watermelon, beef liver, eggs, garlic, and of course everyone’s favorite, chocolate.
- Chocolate – According to a research study recently released by the American Diabetic Association, chocolate contains phenylethylamine, a complex compound that releases endorphins and stimulates sexual desire. Chocolate is also high in magnesium, an important nutrient that provides a sense of comfort and satisfaction.
- Celery– The crunching, low-calorie vegetable is fantastic food source for sexual stimulation. Celery contains androsterone, the odorless hormone released through male perspiration that excites and creates a sexual response in women.
- Asparagus– Planning a romantic dinner for two? Asparagus is the ideal side dish to increase sex drive and libido. A great source of B vitamins, including folate, B vitamins assist in the production of histamine, a regulator of a healthy sex drive in both men and women.
- Watermelon – If you are seeking to boost your sex drive, researchers at Texas A&M University have found a nutrient contained in watermelons known as citrulline, can have a Viagra-like effect on the body. Citrulline is converted into the amino acid arginine in the body. “Arginine boosts nitric oxide, which relaxes blood vessels, the same basic effect that Viagra has, to treat erectile dysfunction and maybe even prevent it.” Noted Dr. Bhimu Patil, Director of the project. Watermelon relaxes blood vessels. Blood vessels play an intricate and important role in satisfying sex.
- Bananas- A nutritionally rich source of B vitamins and potassium, both of which provide energy, bananas contain the enzyme bromelain believed to drive up libido, and counter impotence in men.
- Nuts-Chock full of essential fatty acids, nuts boost the production of sex hormones to heighten libido and sustain sexual performance. Nuts contain high levels of L-arginine, the amino acid known to improve blood circulation and promote erectile response. Pine nuts are especially high in zinc, an important mineral for sperm production and enhanced fertility.
- Eggs– Eggs support healthy sex function, especially their yolks, provide a serving of healthy cholesterol, a waxy substance that assists in producing the key sex hormones estrogen and testosterone. Eggs are also a nutrient-rich source of vitamins B5 and B6, both essential for balancing out hormones and managing stress.
Fruits and Vegetables– Fruits and vegetables are especially important as they are not only good for you, they help lower cholesterol which in turn stimulates blood flow to the body’s organs, most specifically the genitals. By addressing the underlying causes of low sexual desire as well as eating a diet rich in certain nutrients, you can help restore lost libido and experience a more gratifying sex life.
Obviously, many other contributing factors affect an optimal sex drive including trust, communicating with your partner, physical exercise, maintaining a healthy weight, and getting plenty of rest. However, a few changes in your diet with the addition of libido-boosting foods can add welcomed vitality to your meals and kick-start your sex drive.
If you eat on the run and find it difficult to obtain your daily greens, Athletic Greens is a fast and easy way to ensure you give your body the nutrients it requires for optimum health.